The upload rules have changed. The new rules are at help:upload rules. Please read them in full. The changes will be discussed below.
The most important change is that:
- Uploading paid rewards is now against the rules.
- Paid rewards that are status:banned are now visible to Approvers only.
- See forum #168930 for more details.
Most of the other changes are to update the written rules to match accepted community standards. There are new rules, but these are mostly intended bring the rules up to date with the community, not to signal major shifts in policy.
The rules are split into "Off-topic content", "Prohibited content" and "Borderline content". Off-topic content includes the following:
- Low effort or unoriginal memes. This means no https://reddit.com/r/animemes type low effort memes.
- Western cartoon porn or rule 34 porn. This means no https://rule34.paheal.net or https://rule34.xxx type low-quality toon porn.
- Western furry content. This means no https://e621.net type low-quality furry content.
Prohibited content lists the hard rules. This includes the following:
- No real photos of any person under the age of 18. This means child photo posts aren't allowed. This includes even "innocent" cosplay posts, like post #3315170. I know some people will disagree with this, but Danbooru is an adult website and allowing even innocent photos of minors is a legal minefield. Most of this content is old and borderline off-topic anyway, so I don't think there's anything of value being lost.
- No third-party watermarks, waifu2x upscales, or hard translated (non-english) posts. This may be debatable, but I think it's safe to say these things shouldn't normally be uploaded.
- No nude filters, headshops, fake translations, macros, motivators, semen on figure, or yukkuri abuse posts. These things should be fairly uncontroversial. Some were undocumented rules already.
Borderline content lists the soft rules. This includes anything with an unusually high deletion ratio. Most of these things have a 30%-50% deletion ratio or higher. If you think something shouldn't be here, sorry, but this is simply describing things that are usually rejected by the modqueue.
Other noteworthy changes:
- The line about cosplay photos being allowed has been removed. The cosplay exception was originally added way back in forum #17502, in response to a move to delete all old off-topic photos. People objected, so that line was added. But in the years since, they've only been uploaded rarely, and they're very often deleted. So now they're listed as borderline content, meaning they're not banned, but they're not encouraged. They're tolerated in low doses.
- The "bodies that are far outside the realm of normal human proportion" clause has been replaced with "'hyper' fetishism (monstrously large body parts)". See the hyper tag on Sankaku to see what this means.
- The "breasts that are larger than three heads in size" clause has been removed. Even Albert wanted to remove this rule 9 years ago (forum #63446). The intent of this rule was to discourage extreme fetish porn, like extreme breast expansion or extreme "hyper" fetishism, but in reality it was often used to delete gigantic breasts for being just barely over the line. I'm removing this because I don't think a hard size limit is necessary.