Flat caps share similarities with many other types of hat. To avoid misusing this tag, first check to see if one of the following hat tags would be a better match:
- baseball cap — taller and rounder, with a much longer bill in front.
- beret — soft and wide, without a visor or brim. Fits snugly around the head but often worn flopped to one side.
- cabbie hat — has a puffy, rounded shape, and a stiff visor in front.
- donald duck sailor hat — much like a beret, but with a more prominent band.
- peaked cap — constructed with a short visor in front and a band around the rim.
- tam o' shanter — the traditional Scottish bonnet, similar in shape to a beret. Often has a small pom-pom on top.