In 1984, American toy company Hasbro licensed the Japanese Diaclone Car Robots toyline (1982) along with the Japanese Microman Micro Change toyline (1982) from Takara and merged both series of toys to create many of the original Transformers. Takara eventually discontinued the Diaclone and Microman toylines in 1985 in favor of the Transformers rebranding in Japan.
The Marvel comics company also contributed to the original franchise by developing the whole fictional Generation 1 universe of the series and its robot characters info and backgrounds, all created by Marvel comics writer Bob Budiansky. It also published a comic book adaptation of the series during the 80s and 90s.
Due to its great success, Transformers has been adapted into many animated TV shows, an animated movie, and six live-action movies.
This tag is for the series as a whole. For the original 1984 series, see Transformers: Generation 1.
- The Transformers (IDW)
- Transformers (Skybound)
- Transformers Hearts of Steel
- Transformers Shattered Glass
- Transformers: The War Within
- Transformers Prime
- Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2015)
- Transformers: Rescue Bots
- Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy
- Transformers Universe
- Transformers: War for Cybertron
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
- Transformers: The Headmasters
- Transformers Super-God Masterforce
- Transformers Victory
- Transformers Zone
- Transformers: Return of Convoy
- Transformers Operation Combination
- Transformers: Mystery of Convoy
- Kiss Players
- Transformers Cloud
- Transformers Go
- Transformers Block Wars
- Transformers Animated
- Transformers Car Robots
- Transformers Power of the Primes
- Transformers Cyberverse
- Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy
- Transformers: Earthspark
- Transformers (2007 film)
- Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- Transformers: Age of Extinction
- Transformers: The Last Knight
- Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
Official Crossover Works
- GoBots - A competing variable robot toyline that forms part of the franchise since 1991.
- Yuusha series - a super robot series with similar aesthetics, created by Takara to replace the franchise after faltering sales in the early 90s.
The following tags implicate this tag: beast_wars, the_transformers_(idw), transformers:_earthspark, transformers:_generation_1, transformers:_rescue_bots, transformers:_robots_in_disguise_(2015), transformers:_the_headmasters, transformers:_war_for_cybertron_trilogy, transformers_(live_action), transformers_animated, transformers_armada, transformers_car_robots, transformers_cybertron, transformers_cyberverse, transformers_go, transformers_prime, transformers_shattered_glass, transformers_super-god_masterforce, transformers_universe, transformers_victory, and transformers_zone (learn more).